May 30, 2014
Health Tip: Keeping Seniors on Their Feet
By Diana Kohnle, HealthDay Reporter
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing a pair of sturdy, properly fitted shoes can help keep seniors upright.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests these shoe-buying tips for seniors:
- Squeeze both sides of the heel to make sure it doesn't collapse. Check for appropriate flexibility in the toe box, and make sure the shoe doesn't twist in the middle.
- Each time you go shopping, measure your feet. Also, shop late in the day and shop for the size that fits your largest foot.
- Pack a pair of socks to try on with the shoes.
- Don't buy shoes that aren't immediately comfortable or steady.
- Talk to a podiatrist about the best shoes for any specific foot problems.